The Top 10 Things To Avoid In Local SEO
In last Wednesday’s article, “What Are The Most Important Local SEO Factors?“, I wrote about the most important Local SEO factors as described in a survey from David Mihm in which he asked 33 SEO professionals a series of questions about local SEO. Those are the things to do, but there are also some things you should NOT do or it will come back to bite you.
These are the top 10 things to avoid:
- Mis-match / Tracking Phone Numbers Across Data Ecosystem
- Multiple Place Pages with Same Phone Number
- Mis-match Address on Places Landing Page
- Mis-match / Tracking Phone Number on Places Landing Page
- No Crawlable Physical Address on Website
- Choosing to Hide Place Page Address
- Multiple Place Pages with Same/Similar Business Title
- No Local Area Code Phone Number on Website
- Multiple Categories in Same Input Field
- Non-Compliant Categories (those that do not fit “My Business Is a _____”)
A 10 Minute Fix:
One of the big take aways here is that most of these very simple things to address. Making sure your address is crawlable on your website, making sure your contact info is consistent through out your site and on your search listings. Choosing good categories for your listings and choosing to show your address. These are all things you can take care of in a matter of minutes.
A Little Trickier:
A few of the items are a little more involved. Number 1, Mis-match / Tracking Phone Numbers Across Data Ecosystem means looking throughout the web for all the places your organization is listed and making sure the contact info is consistent. That can take some time to find all your listings since some sites list your organization without you having created that listing. Also, some sites can be a bear to change the listing info. That said, it’s worth the effort. Not only can mis-matched contact info effect your search rankings, but if visitors come across the wrong contact info, you miss out on customer.
So, go check and make sure you aren’t doing these things.
Photo by Wootpeanuts